If you are building a new website, you have to find out how to learn the basics of this daunting task. This post is a summary of the first ten lessons in Wealthy Affiliate’s 50-lesson training course on building an entrepreneurial website. I don’t think you can find an easier or more complete way to accomplish this venture successfully.
The 50-lesson course, divided into five segments of 10 lessons each, will take you through the complete process of getting your website up and running. You can build in any niche you choose. Each lesson provides text explanations as well as at least one instructional video. As you can get started and go through these first ten lessons free, what have you got to lose?
In the post below, I will give you a summary of each of these ten lessons, and a link to join for free.
Lesson 1: Getting Rolling
In this first lesson, we are introduced to Kyle and Carson. Carson works on the tech side of the business, but Kyle provides all the training videos. These two provide fine examples to follow, and in this first look at Wealthy Affiliate, they welcome new members and tell them what to expect.
Kyle, who narrates the videos, points out some important tips. In this first video, his tips are as follows:
- Anyone can become successful online
- Anything new can appear overwhelming at first
- No technical or prior online business experience is required
- Success is a journey. It is very cumulative; everything you do moves you forward toward success
Here is the four-step building process that you will learn:
- Step One: Choose an interest
- Step Two: Build a website
- Step Three: Attract visitors
- Step Four: Earn revenue
You are told not to be afraid to ask questions. If you need a coach, you can question the person who sponsored you or Kyle himself.
You are urged to take action on what you have learned
Lesson 2: Understanding How To Make Money Online
This lesson defines affiliate marketing. Then it tells you that, before you make money, you must focus on creating your website.
You must first build the website, add some good content, and work to get traffic to your website.
Kyle puts it well. He says to build a skyscraper of a business, you must first build a solid foundation. In the early days of your business, you will build that foundation.
Understanding the money-making process
Here is a diagram that shows how affiliate marketing works:
Kyle tells us that the over four billion people online are looking for three things:
- Solutions to problems
- Buying stuff
As an affiliate marketer, there are over 550 million products and services that we can promote.
What are your financial goals?
In Wealthy Affiliate, we are asked to answer three questions about our money goals:
- How much money would you be happy earning?
- How much money would you be ecstatic earning?
- How much time are you willing to invest to reach those goals?
Whatever you set for goals, they are reachable. Your results depend on YOU.
Lesson 3: Choose A Niche
Do you understand the meaning of niche?
What is a niche?
A niche is a specific segment of the market that supplies your audience.
To choose your niche, select something that is an interest, a passion, a hobby, or something you would like to learn about.
Here are things to understand about niches:
- You will write content within your niche
- You will communicate with your audience through your niche
- Your products will be within your niche
- You will help people within your niche
- Your first niche probably won’t be your last, so it does not have to be perfect
- Any single niche website can become a full-time income/business
Remember: There is no wrong niche.
Lesson 4: Building Your Own Niche Website
Within the Wealthy Affiliate platform, building a website is not scary; it is fun.
Build Your Website
The SiteBuilder platform at Wealthy Affiliate is simple to use, yet advanced in the industry. Here are the steps you take:
- Choose the kind of website. As a starter member, you will use a free Siterubix.com domain. If you later upgrade to Premium, which gives many added benefits, your Siterubix website can be moved to your own domain.
- Choose a domain. You will need to choose a domain name for your site that ties to your niche. This domain name then becomes your website URL when moving forward.
- Choose a website name. The name of your website should match your domain, but it must be grammatically correct.
- Choose a design. With a Siterubix site, you will have access to one theme that has been picked for quality, speed, security, and overall design.
When you go to Premium membership, you can choose from 4,134 theme designs, all available on WordPress, the platform you are using on which to build.
Lesson 5: Setting Up Your Website
Wealthy Affiliate provides a login to your Siterubix website with a password that you will not have to remember. It is encrypted and secured, and provided when you login.
Your First Plugins
You will receive three plugins preinstalled on your site, and over time, you will select more. Make sure you activate these (click on plugins, on your dashboard. You will see the plugins and the word “activate” underneath them.)
Here are your three plugins that you will start with:
1) All in One SEO
Vital, as it will help you to be found and ranked on search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
2) Classic Editor
This plugin makes starting easier, and is easier to use than the newer, more modular editor.
3) Kraken Image Optimization
This one will compress and optimize images, which helps with web speed and ranking.
Removing Default and Dummy Content
Click on the “posts” button on your dashboard, and you will see preinstalled posts. If you mouse over these, you will see the post management buttons.
Click “Trash” to remove these.
Also, remove any default pages. This prepares your website for the new content you will add.
Lesson 6: Getting Your Site Ready For Search Engines
Learn about SEO (Search Engine Optimization) in this lesson.
You want good rankings in search engines because, when ranked well, it will bring you traffic, which in turn can bring you sales.
All-In-One: Setting up this plugin is vital for helping with ranking. In the last lesson, you activated the plugin. Now you will learn how to set it up.
On the SEO plugin, go to the setting home page and enter the title of your website and a description of what the website is about and how it will help people. Make sure to update your options. No need to upgrade to pro.
Now you are ready for SEO!
Lesson 7: Creating Your Initial Website Content
Relevant content is important. Communicate with your audience as if you were having a conversation.
In Wealthy Affiliate, there is a platform called SiteContent. Here you will find many features to help you with your content. Here are the features offered:
- 100s of critical grammar and spelling checks
- Duplicate content checker
- Automatically published directly to your website
- Writing goals and accomplishments
- SEO analysis and checks
- Content structural analysis
- Ability to place content in a template
- Suggestions for enhancing vocabulary of your post
Create Your About Me Post
Creating this page helps you to build trust with your audience.
There is a template you can use in SiteContent to help you create this page. Do these things:
- Share your story
- Tell why you want to help people
Publishing Your Content
There are four steps to publishing:
- Choose your website
- Choose “post,” not “page”
- Choose a user
- Leave your URL plug “as is”
Then click “publish.”
Privacy Page — Your First “Page”
There is a privacy page template you can choose in your template collection.
A few edits, as explained by Kyle, will be necessary.
Then make sure you publish it as a page.
Along with the instructions written out for you, each lesson also contains at least one video, which explains all changes in detail.
Lesson 8: Creating Custom Menus On Your Website
You need to make your website easy to navigate. In this lesson you are shown how to make custom menus for your website.
Create A Menu
Here you will be taught how to build a menu, and how to include posts and pages on it.
Once you add items to your menu, you can drag and drop them to create any order you desire.
Be sure to save your changes.
A video is included in this lesson that shows you all the steps in order that you need to build your menu.
Lesson 9: Understanding Keywords, The Start Of Your Content
Keywords form the basis for your SEO success.
What Is A Keyword?
A keyword is a word or phrase that people search for in the search engines. Whenever you do a Google search, you are entering a “keyword” into the search box.
Put into Google what you want to search for — you might use your website name — and you will find many results.
By examining the titles of the posts close to the top, you can get an idea of what keywords others have used.
You now will learn to use Jaaxy, Wealthy Affiliate’s outstanding keyword research tool. A video explains to you the complete Jaaxy platform. If you enter the terms you found on Google when you looked for post titles about your subject in question, Jaaxy will tell you how they rank as keywords.
Start broad in your search, and narrow it down as you gain the results, until you find the best one.
There are several columns of keyword data in Jaaxy, defined as follows:
- Keyword: This is the word or phrase itself
- Avg: Overall monthly traffic
- Traffic: Estimated amount of traffic you’d get if you ranked on page 1
- QSR (Quoted Search Results): Exact number of results you are competing with — in other words, how much competition you have for that keyword
- KQI (Keyword Quality Indicator)
- SEO: Ranking is best if 90 or above
Here are rules for a quality keyword:
1) More than 30 monthly searches
2) Less than 100 QSR
3) Keyword must make sense
Lesson 10: Congratulations And Your Next Steps
This lesson points out that you have already learned a lot, and provides a list of what you have accomplished.
Consider membership options: By moving to Premium, you will receive many more benefits that are not included in the Starter membership.
For the next set of classes, you will need to move to Premium to participate. However, you now have the most important aspects involved with building your website in place.
There are 40 more basic lessons available in this entrepreneurial course, designed to move you ahead. Training is simple, complete, and very helpful.
Material is updated if it needs it. Courses are thorough about giving you needed details. You can’t find a training that is more complete, in my opinion. Try it for yourself — Click on the link below this post to start for free.